What we’re doing
- Serving nutritious meals to children at nine DC schools, ensuring that free school meals are still available during distance learning.
- Delivering tens of thousands of healthy meals to local shelters, senior citizens, and front-line nonprofits each week.
- Distributing 5,000 bags of fresh, local produce at schools and partner nonprofits each week.
- Providing deeply discounted fresh produce to corner stores in neighborhoods without grocery stores through our Healthy Corners program.
- Supporting grassroots mutual aid networks of neighbors helping neighbors by supplying free meals, produce bags, and infant formula.
What we’ve done
- Increased our investment in local farmers, including Black and Latinx farmers, to sustain their operations and prevent crop waste
- Built a large-scale produce bag assembly and distribution model at the Washington Convention Center, with initial logistics support from Occasions Caterers
- Converted our family-style meal production model to individually packaged meals in less than 48 hours
- Empowered thousands of SNAP customers and other shoppers to purchase fresh food at corner stores and plan shopping trips with a new mobile app
- Established nine mobile feeding sites for youth to ensure food access throughout the summer
- Provided mini-grants to smaller partner nonprofits stepping up to fight hunger in their communities
- Engaged local restaurants and caterers to help us keep up with demand for meals while retaining their staff
- Recovered hundreds of thousands of pounds of surplus food from farmers, wholesalers, retailers, and event venues
- Invested in living wages, comprehensive health coverage, and personal protective equipment for our staff
- Responded to the suspension of our much-loved volunteer program by creating employment opportunities for nearly 20 DCCK graduates in our organization and through Get Shift Done
How you can help
- Donate. As always, a financial donation to DC Central Kitchen is the single best way to help us keep our operations running today and in the coming days. Make a donation today.
- Elevate. Help spread the word about how DCCK and other local organizations are responding to this crisis, including the time and location of feeding sites and specific needs for resources and supplies.
- Support the restaurant industry. Our restaurant partnerships are integral to our work. Get ideas for how you can support the restaurant community.
Where to learn more
- For the latest list of meal sites and food resources, visit coronavirus.dc.gov/food
For citywide updates and resources from DC Government, visit coronavirus.DC.gov
- For more info on emergency food access, visit DC Food Project’s Food Access resource
Thank you to the organizations and individuals who have stepped up to support our COVID-19 efforts.